- Brings older and younger people together in their local schools
- Enriches opportunities to learn
- Raises aspirations
- Accesses the untapped range of skills and knowledge older citizens have to offer.
- Builds stronger communities
Intergen is both
- A personalised programme for older people AND
- A tailor made programme to meet the needs of local schools to raise underperformance and aspirations of pupils using the untapped skills and knowledge of older people who live near the schools.
The Intergen model
There are 3 schools, one secondary and two primaries in an Intergen partnership. From Generation to Generation contracts with the schools to provide a number of volunteers per year. The contract outlines the responsibilities both of the company and the schools in each partnership.
WHAT DO THE VOLUNTEERS DO
WHAT IS POSSIBLE
Our analysis shows that there are in England alone a possible 3329 Intergen Partnership comprised of 1 secondary and 2 primary schools. This would generate 3329 part time jobs for retired people and over 80,000 volunteering opportunities for retired people to share the skills and knowledge with pupils and teachers in these schools.
WHAT OUR SCHOOLS SAY ABOUT OUR VOLUTEERS
They do more because of their own experience of life…they offer things like solace which a member of staff can’t provide…across the board there are things no other person can do.
Intergen reinforces my belief that you are never too old to learn and that life is actually improved by taking in new challenges.